Tuesday 7 May 2013



...On a more serious note.

I'll never forget the day Rob, my husband, and I, found out the sex of our first child.  We had one of those 3D scans that can show you an accurate picture of your baby...but more than anything, I wanted to know the sex.  I remember both of our eyes filling up as the sonographer confirmed we were having a girl, our little flower, Lily.  The same joy and overwhelming love came when we found out the sex of our second child, our son and future footballer, Jack.  Our two, tiny little jewels, give Rob and I so much to look forward to in life, so much hope for a wonderful future together as a family.  Then, I read stories online on Yahoo News or when watching the evening news on TV that send fear and rage running through me.  Stories of children being abducted, and taken away from their families, never to be seen again.  I am a believer in Christ.  I love my God, and am thankful, so very, very thankful for the love He's given me and the blessings He's showered my life with.  However, I don't understand how and why these things happen.  I know that I serve a loving God so this is NOT His will, but why does He allow such things to happen?  I don't know the answer to this question, a question I ask myself very often these days.  Each night before I go to bed, I lay my hands on my children's doors and ask Jesus to please watch over my little babies.  I pray that He keeps them safe and gives them sweet and peaceful sleep.  Being a parent has changed my world for the better.  I love bigger, stay angry less and am just, in general, a more content person.  However, the worry that comes along with my new title as Mum is not easily shaken off.  I pray for God to give me peace so I don't worry so much.  That's a big task seeing as I'm a born worry wart.  I worry about everything.  I worry about things that haven't even happened and create scenarios in my head of what MIGHT happen.  Some people choose to just not listen to the news because it's just too frightening, and I do see their point.  But, there are also so many good stories of human kindness that would be missed as well, if we tuned out life.  I read this quote the other day “You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is like an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”    ― Mahatma Gandhi  

 So, I will continue to pray each day and night for my babies, my husband and leave our lives in God's very capable hands.  I'm sure one day, we'll have our questions answered. xx babiesmumma. xx

4 comments:

  1. I often think of that movie, Bruce Almighty. When Bruce becomes God, he just answers "Yes" to everyone's prayers. That's what we all want, right? But bad things happen when everyone gets what they want.

    Beyond that, we live in a fallen world. I know you know that. Our world has been degrading since Genesis 3. God could force us all to love, follow, and obey him, but that wouldn't really be love. There would be no glory for God in that and no joy for us.

    The pain and hurt that come from living in this fallen world are so small compared to the awesomeness of eternity.

    To remind myself how big eternity is, I set dates for myself that seem so far away. My first child's due date was the first date that has stayed with me. It seemed so far away when it was just a few months down the road, but it's been nearly 11 years since that day came and went. This brief, temporal world will pass away and with it all the broken cruelness that this world has to offer.

    One quick note about that Ghandi quote... Don't put your faith in humanity. We're all very flawed people. Put your faith in God and His intentions for humanity. God's plan was perfect. Humans mess it up. It's only through His spirit that we can expect to see love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. These *are* the fruit of the Spirit, after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wanda, first off, thank you for posting your comment. I just wanted to start by saying, I've never been one for blaming God when bad things happen. In fact, when I hear people doing this it grieves my spirit. Some people jump for joy when good things happen in their lives, but quickly dismiss God when things go terribly wrong. I always feel the need to defend Him, not that He needs my help, lol, but it's just an instant reaction. I understand and appreciate your comment. However, if I'm going to be honest with you, I must say, I'd have a very difficult time explaining to a Mother who has just found out her child has been abducted, beaten, raped and murdered, that bad things happen because we live in an imperfect world. It's true, we do live in a flawed world because of the fall, but, in that type of circumstance, I believe God Himself expects that we are going to question, be angry and maybe even distance ourselves from Him. It's our job as Christians to console, offer compassion and guide people back to Him...but still allowing people to grieve.

      The reason for my post today is this. I read an article on Yahoo News about 3 women who had been missing for a decade, and were found, as one of the women had escaped and gotten help. There was a little girl found with them. I have no idea whether or not the girl had been abducted as well, or, was a child of one of the women found. It's a day of celebration for all of their families, as the outcome of this type of thing isn't usually good, but, I couldn't help but feel heartbroken for the parents of the children who never did come home.

      Delete
    2. I've read this before. It's wonderful. It doesn't explain why God lets specific things happen, but it helps us understand that God is good, even in light of these bad things.

      http://www.biblegateway.com/blog/2012/07/why-does-god-allow-tragedy-and-suffering/

      Delete
    3. This is great! I've read this before as well, not sure if you had sent it to me, actually? It's a wonderful explanation, and I do get it, please don't think I don't. I just don't think it's quite that simple though. Unless you're in those shoes, the shoes of a Mum who just lost their child, you can't say how you would feel or react. I'm not trying to be difficult, or negative, I'm just being truthful about my feelings. xx

      Delete