Sunday 5 May 2013



Chips? Crisps? They're both made from potatoes, why can't we just get along!
 
Since moving to the UK, I've had to adjust to the language barrier.  Yes, they speak English. I speak English. But, there are so many words for things that I never knew existed!  Back home, when your child goes to school and needs to cross the road, generally, a friendly crossing guard is waiting there to help your little tot get to his/her destination.  Well, in the UK, we have people helping to do the exact same thing, however, they are not your neighbourhood crossing guards, they are your Lollipop People.  Yes, here in the United Kingdom, the job title for men and women assisting your children to get from one side of the road to the other, is referred to as a Lollipop Person.  Even just saying this I imagine Umpa Lumpa's dressed in uniform, carrying Lollies on streets paved with chocolate and smarties for the road markings.  Here's another one. Housecoat.  After taking a shower, I like to put on my housecoat and do my hair and makeup.  Although the ritual is still the same for my British pals, I'm sure, they are not putting on their housecoats, but rather, their dressing gowns.  DRESSING GOWNS??  When I think of dressing gowns, I picture Clarence the Angel from It's a Wonderful Life!  I'm really trying here folks, but it gets a bit confusing. Crisps are chips, chips are fries, let's just say potatoes and call it a day! lol xx babiesmumma xx

8 comments:

  1. lift and lorry are two I can think of right off the top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...washing up liquid, hoovering, bin bags, cooker, the list goes on lol

      Delete
  2. My fav is creche. WTF? How does one decide on using a word like that for a daycare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...well, Crescere means "to grow" in Italian, so I'm assuming it's the French word for the same thing? lol

      Delete
    2. Creche is french for nursery. I wonder how that became a british term lol.

      Delete
    3. I don't know, but I'd like to think there's a good story behind it...something have to do with croissants, brie and wine...and babies lol xx

      Delete
  3. lol when you said lollipop people I assumed it was a job dedicated to dwarf people !!! guess not...would be cool if they just handed lollipops out to everyone they assisted...id be crossing the street all day...especially if they were chupa chups :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, wouldn't that be nice!!! lololol

    ReplyDelete